School-Based Medi-Cal Administrative Activities
Region 7 Central Valley Service Region
Counties: Fresno – Kings – Madera – Mariposa – Merced – Tulare
The office of Madera County Superintendent of Schools has been involved in the School-Based Medi-Cal Administrative Activities (SMAA) program since 1998 and is the host entity for the Central Valley Service Region (Region 7) Local Educational Consortium (LEC) statewide SMAA program. The Central Valley Service Region (Region 7) is aligned with the California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (CCSESA) regions. Region 7 serves Fresno, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced and Tulare counties. The SMAA program allows school districts and county offices to be reimbursed federal dollars for costs incurred while performing certain administrative activities. Employees receive a Random Moment Time Study (RMTS) email by Public Consulting Group (PCG), where they record what they were doing for that one-minute moment. Administrative activities which facilitate enrollment into Medi-Cal and assist students and families to access Medi-Cal services include the following:
- Medi-Cal Outreach – Referring families to Medi-Cal Program.
- Facilitating Medi-Cal Applications - Referring or assisting families with the Medi-Cal applications.
- Monitoring, Coordination, or Referral to Medi-Cal covered services, such as speech, occupational therapy, physical therapy, mental health counseling, and any follow-up on these issues.
- Arranging transportation in support of Medi-Cal services within the community.
- Translation - Arranging or providing translation for Medi-Cal services, e.g. speech, mental health counseling.
- Program Planning, Policy Development, and Interagency Coordination - Developing strategies to improve the delivery or coordination of Medi-Cal services.
Allowable costs may include the salaries and benefits of the staff participating, applicable operating expenses, and appropriate overhead expenses. SMAA is a Federal Financial Participation (FFP) program, which requires a non-federal match. Revenue is unrestricted!