Substitute Teacher Application Process

  • The Madera County Superintendent of Schools has partnered with nine school districts in Madera County to serve as the clearinghouse for hiring and obtaining fingerprint clearance of credentialed substitute teachers in Madera County.

    Individuals who hold valid teaching credentials based on a bachelor's degree and completion of the CBEST are not required to apply for a substitute permit.  These documents may include, but are not limited to, the following credentials:

    • Multiple Subject
    • Single Subject
    • Education Specialist
    • Pupil Personnel Services
    • Library Media Services
    • Speech and Language Pathology 

    Not credentialed yet? If you qualify, we can assist you with obtaining a substitute teacher permit. Applicants for substitute teacher permits must meet these minimum qualifications:

    • Pass the California Basic Skills Exam - CBEST - Bring official score report.
    • For an Emergency 30-Day Sub Permit - bring official sealed transcripts to verify BA/BS degree. (Copies of diplomas are no longer accepted by CTC).
    • For a Prospective Teacher Sub Permit - bring official sealed transcripts to verify 90+ semester units and current enrollment at a university.

    The next step is completing the Substitute Teacher Employment Packet. Download the SUBSTITUTE PACKET and read POLICIES. You may also call to request to have a packet mailed to you. 

    Once you have completed the packet, contact the Credentials Analyst or Credentials Assistant to make an appointment to turn in your application and be fingerprinted.  Make sure that you bring your Social Security Card, Drivers License or ID and a negative TB skin test. If you are also applying for a substitute permit, please bring the required documentation for that as well.

    Fingerprints are taken by appointment only!

    Please Contact:

    Alyssa Dorado, Human Resources and Credentials Technician: (559) 673-6051, x6239
    Kristen Andersen, Coordinator, Human Resources and Credentials: (559) 673-6051, x6261