Special education student transportation is provided as a related service for students with an identified need. Students are transported from their home to school and back each day. Approximately 230 students attend various school sites throughout Madera County. Some of these students are in wheelchairs and require special care. The 21 school buses travel more than 386,475,000 miles annually and cover a service area of 2,147 square miles. Student safety and quality of service are the primary goals for the transportation system. The Madera County Superintendent of Schools bus drivers are committed to providing prompt, courteous, and safe transportation for children in the county.
In order to arrive on time at pick-up and delivery points, parents are asked to observe the following:
- Designate one pick-up
- Designate one delivery location
- Any changes (moved, have a different babysitter, etc.) requires 3 days to reroute. The student will not have bus service during those 3 days.
- An approved designee must receive the child from the bus. If no approved designee is present, Child Protective Services will be contacted.
- An alternate address can be designated where a student can be delivered in case of an emergency.
- Parents/Guardians will be notified of the student’s pick-up time. The bus will wait 2 minutes and then continue its route.
Follow the Bus Safety Rules!
- Wear a seatbelt
- Remain seated at all times while the bus is moving
- Keep arms, hands, and feet out of the aisle and inside the bus
- Talk quietly; no yelling
- A referral is given when a child does not behave safely, either while boarding, riding or exiting the bus
The transportation office should be contacted when a student will not be attending school at
When leaving a message, parents should provide their child’s first and last name. Messages are checked regularly.
If a child does not ride the bus for 3 consecutive days and the parents neglect to notify the transportation office, the bus will not stop again until transportation is contacted to reinstate services.